13 New Assistant Professors Named; Most Are In the History Department

Thirteen men have been appointed to the post of assistant professor, Franklin L. Ford, Dean of the Faculty, announced recently.

Six of the 13 are in the field of History. They are:

Valentine J. Boss, an instructor in Russian History at Harvard since 1962 and holder of a B.A. (1954) from the University of Cambridge and a Ph.D. (1962) from Harvard.

Stanley N. Katz, an American colonial historian and an instructor at Harvard since 1961. He is editor of "A Brief Narrative of the Case and Trial of John Peter Zenger by James Alexander" and holds both the A.B. (1955) and the Ph.D. (1961) from Harvard. He has been Allston Burr Senior Tutor of Leverett House since 1963.

Standish Meacham, Jr., an English historian and author of "Henry Thornton of Clapham, 1760-1815." He has been an instructor since 1961 and Allston Burr Senior Tutor of Winthrop House since 1962. He holds the A.B. (1954) from Yale and the Ph.D. (1961) from Harvard.

Karl F. Morrison, a Medieval scholar. He is co-author (with T.E. Mommsen) of "Imperial Lives and Letters of the 11th Century" and author of two books in press: "Carolingian Coinage" and "The Two Kingdoms: Ecclesiology in Carolingian Political Thought." He holds the B.A. (1956) from the University of Minnesota and the Ph.D. (1961) from Cornell. He has taught at the University of Minnesota since 1961.

Robert I. Rotberg, an historian of Africa and author of "A History of Tropical Africa in Modern Times," to be published. He holds the B.A. (1955) from Oberlin, the M.A. (1957) from Princeton, and the D.Phil (1960) from Oxford. He has been Instructor at Harvard since 1961.

And Peter D.L. Stansky, an English historian and author of "The Leadership of the Liberal Party, 1894-1899," to be published. He has been Instructor since 196'; 1963-64, acting Allston Burr Senior Tutor of Kirkland House. He holds the A.B. (1953) from Yale, the B.A. (1955) from the University of Cambridge, and the Ph.D. (1961) from Harvard.

Promoted to assistant professors of Physics are Louis N. Hand, who has investigated the properties of the nucleus revealed by electron scattering, and Joseph L. Snider, who has done research on the magnetic properties of the nitrogen nucleus. Hand, an Instructor since 1962, holds the B.A. (1955) from Swarthmore and the Ph.D. (1962) from Stanford. Snider, an instructor since 1961, holds the B.A. (1956) from Amherst and the Ph.D. (1961) from Princeton.

Johan A. Hellebust has become assistant professor of Marine Biology, and Andrew W. Holowinsky has become assistant professor of Biology. Hellebust has studied the compounds formed and excreted by marine algae during photosyntheisis. He holds the B.A. (1958) and Ph.D. (1962) degrees from the University of Toronto. Since 1962 he has been assistant biologist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. Holowinsky has studied photosynthesis in leaf tissue cultures and the growth of chloroplasts in plant cells. He holds the B.A. (1956) from LaSalle and the Ph.D. (1961) from the University of Pennsylvania. He has been an Instructor since 1963.

Camille E. Bauer has joined the Harvard faculty as assistant professor of French. The author of "La France Actuelle," he has taught at the University of Wisconsin, and Phillips Academy in Andover, Mass., and since 1962 has been assistant professor at Brown. He received the licence es-letters in 1948 from the University of Nancy and the aggregation in 1957 from the University of Paris.

Kenneth J. Gergen, who is investigating the self-concept and its modification, has been promoted to assistant professor of Social Psychology. An instructor at Harvard since 1963, he holds the B.A. (1957) from Yale and the Ph.D. (1963) from Duke.

David G. Mitten has been promoted to Francis Jones Assistant Professor of Classical Art. An authority on Lydian, Minoan, and Greek art, he has taught at Harvard since 1962 and is assistant director of the Harvard-Cornell Sardis (Turkey) Excavation. He holds the B.A. (1957) from Oberlin and the Ph.D. (1962) from Harvard.