LBJ Appoints 4 To Brain Trust

By Sanford J. Ungar

At least four Harvard professors are helping President Johnson to formulate plans for "The Great Society," according to information released in Washington this week.

Carl Kaysen, professor of Economics; Don K. Price, dean of the Faculty of Public Administration; Charles M. Haar, professor of Law; and John Kenneth Galbraith, Paul M. Warburg Professor of Economics, have been appointed to task forces preparing policy for the next Johnson Administration, should the President be elected next month.

Like the study groups which President Kennedy appointed prior to his election in 1969, the eleven units are studying a broad scope of domestic topics and a few international concerns. President Johnson chose the panels, about 150 people in all, during the summer, and they have only recently begun their studies.

Kaysen, a former Kenedy side, is chairman of the group considering "Foreign Economic Policy," and Price leads the study of "Government Reorganization." Haar, a well-known city-planning expert, chairs the group of scholars and administrators considering "Natural Beauty." According to a reliable source, the list of all committee members includes several other Harvard professors, as well as government officials and outstanding citizens.

None of the Harvard appointees would discuss the work of the task forces, when contacted yesterday. "We have been asked to present any discussion of our recommendations only to the White House," Price said