THE ENDS

Sports '68

By Philip Ardery

After the first scrimmage this fall, freshmen football coach Henry Lamar turned to an assistant and announced, "We're going to pass the ball this year."

No, the coach hadn't found a howit-ser-armed quarterback; he'd discovered a real gang of tall, strong, glue-fingered ends. These guys, thought Lamar, could make an aerial offense go with an average passer throwing the ball.

In last week's 14-12 loss to Boston College, the ends proved Lamar to be a pretty good prophet, as they caught 10 of the 15 passes that Richard Zimmerman lofted into the air. And some of these snags were sheer acrobatics.

In the second quarter, Robert Wels hauled in one between three B.C. defenders and sprinted by them all for the Crimson's first touchdown. And in the Yardlings' fourth-quarter drive, Carter Lord made a leaping, fingertip grab that left the spectators gasping.

It might be an average year for Harvard if these two ends were the only good ones. Great ends are a tradition at Harvard--there's been a Crimson receiver on the All-Ivy team the past two years.

Other Standouts

But to hold this year's list to Wels and Lord would be a real oversight.

Bob Hoffman blocked a Tufts punt in the end zone two weeks ago to give the Crimson six points. Mantague Demment caught a 20-yard touchdown pass in the same game.

Benjamin Smith intercepted a B.C. pass and cut down the Eagle end sweeps time after time from his defensive corner spot. Carleton Goodwin saw action both ways, and, like smith, was a standout at turning the B.C. half-backs inside.