Student Arrested In Miss. Protest

Marshall Ganz '65 and more than 30 other civil rights workers and Mississippi residents were arrested in McComb, Miss., yesterday on charges of trespassing. It was the second time in four days that Ganz had been arrested.

The arrests came during McComb's "Freedom Day" as Negro residents of the city attempted to register to vote. A local official told applicants at the courthouse that the register had been ordered to appear in court and would not be able to register voters.

When the applicants, along with several representatives of the National Council of Churches and the Council of Federated Organizations, did not leave the courthouse area, 21 were arrested and charged with trespassing. At least nine other arrests on the same charge and one for distributing leaflets without a license were made later in the day.

Ball Money Needed

In telephone calls to friends in Cambridge, Ganz asked help in raising ball money. Ball has been set at $100 for each of the 30.

Two undergraduates who spent this summer working for COFO in Mississippi took up collections for Ganz. Robert C. Wright '65 and Peter Orris '67 raised $420 last night.

Ganz and 12 other rights workers had been arrested Friday on charges of "operating a food-handling establishment without complying with food regulations."

A hearing on the food-handling charge will be held in McComb today; an NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund representative in McComb said the cage would probably be bound over to a Pike County court for trial later.