Van Oudenallen Returns As Punter for Crimson

An unusual comeback story will reach its climax the first time Harvard is forced to punt in Saturday's football game.

Doing the kicking, for the first time this year, will be left-footed Harry Van Oudenallen, whose unusually accurate coffin-corner kicks brought him raves from coach John Yovicsin and one of the best punting averages in the Ivy League last year.

When Van Oudenallen came to Harvard two years ago, he was considered much more than a prospective punter. An All Metropolitan New York and in high school, he was also a top-notch lacrosse player.

But a preseason concussion put him on the bench for most of his freshman football season. He had already suffered three concussions in high school; after a fifth concussion, in a lacrosse game, lockers told him to give up contact sports. He had been leading the lacrosse team in scoring at the time.

Van Oudenallen wouldn't quit altogether. If was a choice between taking up soccer and becoming a kicking specialist in football. Because his friends were on the football team, he decided to take up punting.

Yovicsin was glad he did. He averaged 37.4 yards last year and was so accurate hat the New York Times credited him with winning the Brown game for Harvard by keeping the Bruins in their own territory.

Then this summer Harry's athletic career seemed to be over for good. A motorcycle accident left him with a deep gash that went almost through his left leg and required 30 stitches. Miraculously, it missed both hamstring muscles, but Van Oudenallen suffered a severed nerve and three broken fingers.

Harvard doctors told him to forget football; Van Oudenallen didn't. Finally, this Tuesday, the doctors agreed to let him work out. His leg looked as good as ever. He'll probably take over punting duties once again against Penn Saturday.