Indoor Tennis Courts Open Monday; Graduate Students Will Pay to Play

The Palmer Dixon Indoor Tennis Courts, Harvards first new sports facility since Watson Hockey Rink opened in 1955, will be opened to Harvard and Radcliffe students, Faculty, and staff Monday.

The three courts will be available for play Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., except from 1 to 2 p.m. and 6 to 7 p.m., when the courts will be swept. On Sundays the courts will be open from 2 to 11 p.m., and will be swept from 6 to 7.

Undergraduates will be able to reserve the courts 24 hours in advance, and to play for one hour free of charge between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. by presenting their bursar's cards. Participation ticket and department ticket holders will be charged $1.50 per person per hour for singles and $1.00 for doubles between 2 and 6 p.m.

For play after 7 p.m. everyone will be charged $2.50 per person per hour for singles and 1.50 for doubles. The $2.50-$1.50 rate will also apply on Sundays.

Members of the varsity and freshman tennis squads will be permitted to reserve courts two days ahead of time. Reservations may be made by calling UN 8-7600, Extension 2239. Cancellations must be made no later than 6 p.m. of the day before scheduled play.

The courts are clay-surface, just like the varsity courts outdoors. "They've been just as good as we thought they'd be and that's very good," said tennis coach Jack Barnaby, whose teams have been working out on the new courts since September. "The transparent roof gives you a problem of visibility on overheads, but it lets in a lot more light than you could get with a normal lighting system."