Harvard Will Ask Aid Under Anti-Poverty Act

MONRO ANSWERS EPPS

By Hendrik Hertzberg

Dean Monro indicated yesterday that the University will participate in the work-study program of the "War on Poverty" despite a controversial disclaimer provision in the Economic Opportunities Act.

Monro disclosed that Harvard officials have been told by the U.S. Office of Education that the federal government "does not intend to apply the oath and affidavit to projects run through universities."

"If these assurances hold, we'll go ahead and apply for aid," he continued. "If necessary, we could withdraw later."

Monro said the Office of Education's decision was based on advice from the U.S. Attorney General's office and on the Senate debate on the anti-poverty bill. He said several Senators voted for the bill with the understanding that only direct employees of the federal government would have to take the oath, which requires signers to swear they are not members of any subversive organizations.

Reply to Epps

Archie C. Epps, assistant dean of the College, has objected to University participation in the program as long as anyone at all is required to sign a disclaimer. Monro said he respects Epps' position but does not agree with him.

"He would like to have our protest sharper and more general," Monro said. "I feel it isn't effective for us to make protests outside the area of our own immediate concern and involvement. When you work with the federal government you usually have to compromise somehow."

"There is a question of principle here, but we've decided to go ahead anyway," he concluded.

Monro stressed, however, that the University is still gathering information about the program and has not committed itself to any course of action. "No applications are available yet for the program," he said. "We haven't even been told how to apply."

Stimulate Employment

The work-study program is designed to "stimulate and promote" part-time employment among students from low-income families.

Monro said that both Phillips Brooks House and the Student Employment Office are exploring ways they could be eligible for federal anti-poverty dollars while remaining "wary of the oath and affidavit problem."

"This is a very valuable program, and most of us hope the colleges and universities will have a chance to help develop it," he continued. "I think Harvard's experience in these areas would be useful to the program."