National Cross-Country Meet Today

Walt Hewlett, who finished twelfth in last year's NCAA cross-country meet, leads a five-man Harvard team into this year's nationals at East Lansing, Mich., today.

Hewlett's finish last year was something of a surprise. After a brilliant dual-meet season, the Crimson runner, then a sophomore, had dropped to 27th in the Heptagonals meet and to 11th in the IC4A championships.

Hewlett's Chances

But if Hewlett doesn't do better than twelfth this year, it will be a serious disappointment. Undefeated in dual-meets this year, Hewlett won the Heptagonals by 56 seconds and led Joe Lynch of Georgetown for four and a half miles before losing to him in the IC4A's, the Eastern championship. Lynch's winning margin in that race was six seconds.

Lynch is among the favorites for today's race. But the leading West Coast track powers--U.S.C., Oregon, San Jose State, and UCLA--have plenty of runners who could press the Eastern Champions.

Shorter Distance

Dave Allen, who finished second to Hewlett in the Heps and 12th in the IC4A's, might break into the top 20 today. But both Allen and Hewlett get better as the distance increases, and the Michigan State course is a half-mile shorter than the New York course where both earlier meets were run.

Captain Bill Crain will wind up his cross-country career in today's race. Jim Smith, Roger Smith, and Jon Chaffee will also represent the Crimson.