Skowronski, Yastrzemski Win 1964 Football Awards

Two seniors received Harvard's highest football honors last night at the Harvard Club of Boston's annual dinner for the varsity football team.

Gene Skowronski received the Frederick Greeley Crocker award, which has come to be considered a "most valuable player" trophy.

Stan Yastrzemski, a reserve fullback most of the season and a star when he started in the Brown and Yale games, was awarded the William Paine LaCroix award for "enthusiasm for the game... sportsmanship, loyalty, and team spirit."

Defensive Staiwart

Skowronski, a 6-0, 200-pound guard-linebacker, returned to varsity football this season after going ineligible during his junior year. He became a defensive starter in time for the Massachusetts game; in that game he made 10 tackles and was named to the All-East Team of the Week, although he played very little on offense.

Before the Bucknell game, injuries forced coach John Yovicsin to move John Hoffman to tackle and Skowronski took over at left guard. He was injured in the Brown game, but returned last week to play on defense against Yalo.

Yastrzemski, who played second-string for two years behind all-Ivy fullback Bill Grana, missed a chance to start at fullback this year when he injared his shoulder. But when Pat Conway was injured two weeks before the season ended, Yastrzemski took charge, He gained 48 yards against Brown and was the leading rusher in the Yale game with 85 yards in 11 carries