University Plans Summer Repair Of Emerson Hall

The University will renovate classrooms in Emerson Hall next summer, as the next step in its program to improve heavily used teaching facilities.

Both Emerson D and 211, which are used for lecture courses almost every hour of the day, will be remodeled completely, according to Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, assistant dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences for resources and planning.

Plans include "improvement of the lighting, seating, and ventilation," as well as the installation of some visual aids to make them "first-class modern units," Trottenberg said. Scheduling of the work has been difficult because of the heavy use of the lecture halls in Emerson, so it will be done during Summer School.

Once members of the Soc Rel Department have vacated Emerson Hall for the new William James Center for Behavioral Studies, Trottenberg said, Emerson will be used for the consolidation of the Philosophy Department, whose offices have been scattered throughout University buildings.

Changes were made in the lighting in Sanders Theatre and the Geological Lecture Hall last summer, Trottenberg pointed out, after many students and Faculty members complained. At first, the University turned away an HUCA report on the lighting in Sanders, but after students picketed the building at Ec 1 lectures last year, the renovation was performed unexpectedly over the summer.