Varsity 11 In Good Shape For Game With Princeton

The Harvard football team is in its best shape of the season as it looks forward to Saturday's game with unbeaten Princeton.

Only fullback Pat Conway is a doubtful starter for the contest with the Ivy League-leading Tigers. Conway missed Saturday's Penn game with a hip injury and did not go through contact work yesterday.

Conway can run now, but unless he can participate in Wednesday's contact drill, it's doubtful that he'll start Saturday.

His number-one replacement, Stan Yastrzemski, saw little action Saturday because of a shoulder injury. Yastrzemski was ready to play, but John Yovicsin decided not to risk re-injuring the shoulder after Harvard got ahead in the game.

Lloyd Macdonald and sophomore Tom Choquette, who split the fullback duties Saturday, are ready to go again if neither of the top two is ready. Both ran well against Penn, with Choquette piling up 36 yards in 6 carries.

Harvard's other casualties, place-kicker Maury Dullea and quarterback John McCluskey, should be ready to go against Princeton. Dullea actually did the kicking against Penn after the first three touchdowns, despite a serious ankle injury. All three of his kicks were good, though the first two were lowtrajectory boots that barely scraped inside the right crossbar. He should be in better shape this Saturday.

McCluskey May Play

McCluskey's status is more questionable. The speedy junior must have all his speed to be the Crimson's number-one quarterback. Yovicsin gave him a rest against Penn, thinking that he hadn't recovered from a hamstring pull suffered five weeks ago against UMass.

Tom Bilodeau and Jerry Mechling moved the team well enough against Penn and McCluskey may not even get back this week. Besides, the Crimson will probably have to take to the air against Princeton, and passing has not been McCluskey's strong point.

Princeton is probably in worse shape than Harvard for the game. Tiger tailback Don McKay, third in total offense and fourth in passing in the Ivy League, may be out for the season after he was injured in the Tigers' 14-0 win over Brown Saturday. He's a doubtful starter against Harvard, at any rate.