Three Crimson Defenders Chosen For All-Ivy Team

Frank Ulcickas, Paul Guzzi, and Gene Skowronski have been named to the Associated Press's All-Ivy team.

For the first time in the eight-year history of the league, the AP chose both an offensive and a defensive team; all three Crimson players were chosen as defensive performers.

Five other Harvard players, tackle Joe Jurek, guard Chuck Reischel, center and captain John O'Brien, and halfbacks Wally Grant and Dave Poe, received honorable mention.

Only one player, Princeton's fullback-linebacker Cosmo Iacavazzi, was named to both the offensive and defensive teams. The AP selectors hedged their bets on an all-League fullback; they named both Iacavazzi and Yale's Chuck Mercein to the first backfield, along with Columbia quarterback Archie Roberts and halfback Bob Baker of Cornell.

The offensive line included John Parry (Brown) and Bob Kenney (Yale) at ends, Ernie Pascarella (Princeton) and Duke Grkovic (Cornell) at tackle, Ed Keible (Dartmouth) and Chuck Benoit (Yale) at guard, and Bob Komives (Dartmouth) at center.

The defensive line included Ulcickas and George Norman (Cornell) at ends, and Ab Lawrence (Yale) and Phil Ratner (Cornell) at tackle. Stas Maliszewski and Paul Savidge of Princeton, and Skowronski were the linebackers, and Iacavazzi, Guzzi, Don Roth (Princeton), and Bruce Gottschall (Dartmouth) the deep backs.

Ulcickas, Skowronski, and Guzzi were also chosen by the AP for honorable mention status on the All-East team.

The All-Ivy honorable mentions included:

Ends: Tom Clarke and Bob Macleod, Dartmouth; Bob Seiple, Brown; Harvey Rubin, Columbia; Steve Lawrence and Dan O'Grady, Yale; Dick Williams, Cornell; James Hackett, Princeton.

Tackles: Wendell Cady, Princeton; Jurek, Ron Brookshire, Columbia; Dave Strong, Yale; Clarence Jentes, Cornell.