Belli Talks of Lawyers, Kangaroos, To Audience of 100 at Quincy House

Speaking off the cuff to a crowd in Quincy House Junior Common Room, flamboyant trial lawyer Melvin Belli last night mentioned in varying detail the topics of the Jack Ruby trial, the self education of Caryl Chessman, the American judicial system, and the weakness of U.S. law schools.

Belli compared the Ruby trial with the Sacco-Vanzetti and Scopes affairs as having projected highly unfavorable images overseas of the American jury system. In his travels abroad he noticed that an overwhelming majority of Europeans were certain that "Oswald, Ruby, the CIA, the FBI, and even President Johnson" were linked in a conspiracy to assasinate John Kennedy.

About the Ruby trial itself, Belli philosophized that "in Dallas they subconsciously had to show that they were a lawful community and wouldn't stand lynchings," and thus were compelled to have Ruby executed.

In mentioning the forthcoming suspension proceedings against him by the American Bar Association, Belli defended his allegation that the Ruby trial was "a kangaroo and a railroad." He added that the truth of his charges outweighed the impropriety of the remarks.

He also expressed his belief that the Ruby case will eventually be reversed by a higher court and stressed the thought that twelve laymen on a jury cannot usually hand down a decision as truly judicious and compassionate a one as that of a trained judge. Yet he continually reaffirmed his faith in the American jury system.

In remarks directed to law students, Belli presented the case of Caryl Chessman to support his premise that a thorough grounding in the fundamentals of law is essential to becoming a good lawyer. By studying the basics of law while on Death Row at San Quentin Prison, Chessman was able to obtain writs staying his execution for twelve years.

Belli charged that today law schools are more interested in emphasizing commercial and computer aspects of law than the historical foundations upon which society and law are based.