Masters Are Doubtful On Interhouse Request

By Martin S. Levine

A poll of Masters last night revealed little enthusiasm for free interhouse dining between Harvard and Radcliffe.

The Masters reactions to the plan ranged from ostensible indifference to cautious pessimism. Only one Master indicated that he might favor a trial period of Harvard-Radcliffe interhouse if financial problems could be solved.

The Committee on the Houses tabled a request for interhouse Wednesday after Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, administrative vice president of Radcliffe, requested time to study the effect of interhouse on the college's finances.

The 'Cliffe, which keeps its own accounts, might have to pay Harvard substantial sums to cover the cost of meals eaten by Cliffies in House dining halls, according to Trottenberg.

Alwin M. Pappenheimer, Jr. '29, Master of Dunster House, said it was "quite possible" that he would support the proposal for interhouse, which was filed by the Harvard Council for Undergraduate Affairs. "Offhand, I don't have anything against it," he said, but added that much would depend on. Trottenberg's report.

Bruce Chaimers, Master of Winthrop House, said that although he had not yet finally made up his mind, he felt "doubts" about the effects of a large number of girls in the dining halls.

Intellectual Life Threatened

An influx of girls would "certainly cause a change in the intellectual life" of Harvard men, Rouben A. Brower, Master of Adams House, observed. He said he had gotten "more cold feet" after listening to this and other points raised at the committee meeting Wednesday. But he might accept one night of Harvard-Radcliffe interhouse a weak, he added.

Thomas E. Crooks '40, Master of Dudley House, said that he wouldn't care very much one way or the other" if interhouse were voted.