Students Support Castro's Regime; Accuse FBI of Harassment Tactics

The United States is "raccland incarnate," said Ron Bedford, one of four students who described their experiences in Cuba to an unruly crowd of about 100 in Purr Hall last night.

Bedford, in a short prepared speech, said that "it's not the spread of communism that this country is afraid of," but rather the racial equality in Castro's Cuba. Bedford, a Negro, charged that in America "we're expected to kneel down on our knees to every white racist who comes along with a baseball bat."

The audience, sprinkled with Cuban exiles then directed questions at Bed-ford and his three companions, William Sacks and his wife Karen, and Susan Rotolo.

Sacks, asked why there are no elections in Cuba, replied, "Cubans feel there is no need for elections, since they have a government that is giving them what they want." Except on the local level, he continued, "elections aren't always what they're cracked up to be."

FBI Attacked

The four accused the FBI of "harassing" some of the 84 members of the group that travelled to Cuba last summer. Bedford described how he had lost his job in a Boston museum after agents informed his employer of the trip. "Two others of the group," said Miss Rotolo, "have also lost their jobs through the friendly influence of neighborhood FBI men."

The questioners were led by Jose Martinez, a member of a Cuban exile group called the "30th of November Movement." Addressing Bedford, Martin-quoted a figure of 113,000 political prisoners in Cuba and asserted that civil rights were being violated more drastically under Castro than under Batista.

Sacks, in reply, said that the Revolution is merely "protecting itself." Bedford added that the "outside interference of the U.S. has a tremendous effect on the civil liberties of Cubans."

Miss Rotolo and Mrs. Sacks said that discontent comes from the rich people who lost power and status.

The four students were introduced by Marry Gillmor, president of the Harvard-Radcliffe Socialist Club. "I'm living proof," she said, "that even Dean Watson can be convinced, by the press, that people should follow the rules."