Adams House Plundered By Petty Thieves

Harvard Policeman Investigating Thefts

A University police detective is reportedly working full time in an attempt to solve a series of petty robberies that have plagued at least one House and several freshman dormitories.

Two Adams House students were robbed during the wee hours of yesterday morning in the latest of such incidents. Over the Yale weekend, a local youth was apprehended emerging from the House with a television and other personal property. Yesterday the youth was tried in Cambridge court and was given six months probation as a first offender.

The crimes in Adams House seem to be taking a certain pattern. A youth or several youths enter a room with the intention of searching it for money or other easily-moved valuables. If they find someone in the room, they ask him "Is so-and-so here" or "Where is so-and-so's room?"

Invariably, it seems, these questions give the thieves a plausible reason for entering the room and enough time to make a hasty retreat.

Contacted by telephone last night, Robert Tonis, chief of University Polices, refused to comment on reports of the robberies.

Victims of yesterday morning's Adams House incidents said that the thief had not ransacked their rooms, but had only taken valuables lying in clear view. One said that $20 had been taken from his wallet; the other reported that his watch and a billfold with $30 and a number of credit cards had been stolen.

The thief was reported to have wan- dered through as least three (C, and F and G) of Adams' nine entries. One student in F entry reported that someone tried to enter his room twice around 6 a.m. He was prevented both times because the door was locked.

One students actually woke up at about 6:15 a.m. while the thief was opening a dreser drawer. Dazed, the student asked what the youth was doing in his room. The thief replied "Is Jay--here?" Still dazed, the student mumbled "No," where upon the thief made a rapid exit from the room. Fully awake by this time, the student rushed after him, but the thief had disappeared.

Ironically, this student's room seems to have been struck by a potential thief at least once before. A roommate reported yesterday that several weeks ago, a youth had mistakenly come into the bathroom while the roommate was taking a shower. Obviously a bit shaken, the youth asked "Can you tell me where Ken--'s room is?" And then, he too field.

A University detective quizzed both boys yesterday morning. He indicated to one of the roommates that he might be asked to identify the thief from photographs in a mugbook.

Recently the Cambridge City Council has taken an increased interest in police activities and petty crime. Last Monday the Council met with Daniel J. Brennan, chief of police, and John J. Curry '19, City Manager, to discuss police matters