First Period Scoring Deluge Helps Cadet Sextet Defeat Crimson, 5-2

Harvard and Army played fairly even, if unexciting, hockey for forty minutes Saturday night. Unfortunately, a wide open first period, in which the West Pointers jumped off to a 4-1 lead, proved too much for the Crimson sextet and the visitors walked off with a 5-2 victory.

The first Army goal was scored at 2:35 of the first period on a play that was to become all too familiar before the end of the evening. Cadets Phil Riley and Kevin Kelley worked the puck up the side of the rink and drew the Harvard defense to them. Then Kelley passed to Laurence Hansen who was open in the center. Hansen had an easy shot, and converted. The following four goals were variations on this theme.

Harvard's lone first period tally came at 13:57 when Eddie Zellner picked up an errant Army pass, skated alone across the blue line, and scored unassisted on a high, hard shot into the corner of the cage.

The Crimson's play throughout the game was characterized by a lack of sharp passing, an inability to clear the puck from their own zone, and a failure to take advantage of scoring opportunities. Time and again the Crimson attempted to bring the puck up the ice, only to have it stolen by Army defenders. When they did manage to get the puck into enemy territory, they were often either bottled up by larger opponents, or so bunched that effective passing was impossible.

The bright spot of the evening came late in the second period when Baldy Smith took Kenny Burnes' pass from the side, waited until he had a clear shot, then slammed the puck into the net.