2 Varsity Track Teams Battle B.U., Providence

By Philip Ardery

The varsity trackmen walloped a good Army squad Saturday and now they've gotten cocky. Amoeba-like, the Crimson will split into two teams at 6 o'clock tonight when both Boston University and Providence College visit Briggs Cage for separate dual meets.

Coach Bill McCurdy said yesterday that one of his sub-squads will consist primarily of sophomores and the other of upperclassmen. He declined to say which unit will battle which opponent.

It's likely that the experienced runners will compete against B.U. since the Providence meet won't make it into the record books. The Friar contest is unofficial since it won't include competition in every event.

McCurdy's division of his charges shouldn't endanger the Crimson in the B.U. contest. In a dual meet last weekend, the Terriers were trampled by Brown, 75-34. The Terriers should be easy for the Crimson, or any remotely representative section of the Crimson, to handle.

One point-getter for B.U. is certain to be Jeff Blatt. Blatt won the 50-yard dash against Brown in a good time of 0:05.6 and cleared 12 ft., 6 In. to take second place in the pole vault. If Aggrey Awori runs against him. Blatt will have to settle for second place in the dash, but the B.U. ace should win the vault against Ken Winters, who seems to be stuck around the 12-ft. mark.

Backing up Blatt in the dash is another potential scorer for B.U., Carl Johnson. Johnson nipped Awori in the Greater Boston championships last winter and should take third place tonight, since Crimson sophomore Wayne Anderson is likely to be running against Providence.

The only other strongman for the Terriers is Mike Tener, who took second place in the 1000 and the mile against the Bruins with times of 2:17 and 4:26. Running against him in both events will probably be John Ogden, still somewhat weak from a blood infection that halted his training during the fall.

Ogden should win in the mile, but his lost, of stamina may cost him victory in the shorter race.

Ordinarily Ogden wouldn't he called on to double, but Coach McCurdy has decided not to run. Walt Hewlett tonight. The junior sensation is hampered with a sprained foot.

B.U.'s best offering in the two-mile is George Starkus, who won the event in 9:43.1 against Brown. Dave Allen and Jim Smith should keep Starkus from finishing higher than third.

If the Crimson decides to throw its experienced runners into the B.U. meet, a near certainly, several events in the Providence contest could be exciting. The Friars have excellent distance runners, as evidenced by their cross-country win over Harvard this fall, and are reported to be strong in the middle distance as well