Zambia to Get Volunteers From Project Tanganyika

Project Tanganyika is looking for a new name. For the first time in the Project's five-year history, the Phillips Brooks House teaching program plans to place some of its teachers outside of East Africa. They will go to the newly-independent country of Zambia.

The Project's directors are now in the process of asking University officials for approval of the expansion plans. If they are approved, two members will work next year at a school now being established in Zambia for refugees from Southern Africa. Zambia, which became independent last October, was formerly known as Northern Rhodesia.

Most of the teachers will fill posts in the Republic of Tanzania which are presently held by members of last year's PBH group. These positions include teaching of refugees as well as work in regular Tanzanian schools in the capital city of Dar es Salaam. The group will depart this June and plans to teach until June, 1966.

Chosen for Project Tanganyika 1965 were two law students, a graduate student in education, four Radcliffe, and five Harvard undergraduates. They are: Ford T. Johnson, Jr. 1L, Harry E. Miller 3L, Fredric R. Branfman 1GSE, Karen E. Fields '66, Elise Forbes '65, Jennifer Leaning '67, Mary R. Yarwood '65, Lee S. Hyde '65, Stephen A. Most '65, Christopher St. John '66, Alan H. Venable '66, and David A. Wendt '66.

Project Seeks $25,000

Sending a teacher to Africa for a year costs the Project about $2200, so the group must raise over $25,000 in contributions from members, foundations, and individual donors. About half of this amount, however, has already been pledged.

During the spring term, Project members will conduct a fund raising program and an orientation program which will include three hours a week of Swahill lessons. Special classes in direct-method language teaching and studies of current African affairs are also being planned.