Pusey O.K.'s New Program For AFROTC

Revised Plan Includes Free Rides, Pay Hike

By John Sheub

President Pusey signed into being, yesterday, a new two-year Air Force ROTC program to replace the present four-year program. The new program was made possible under the ROTC Vitalization Act of 1964.

Meanwhile, Dean Monro announced that the Naval ROTC program will remains essentially the same with four-year programs for scholarship and contract students. Harvard's Army ROTC had not yet decided whether to change its program.

The new Air Force program involves a six-week encampment between the sophomore and junior years and a full course each year during the last two years of college. Drill and related activities are no longer required during the academic year. Lt. Col. Edward M. Lyman, professor of Air Science, stressed yesterday that the new program "will not interfere with other student activities and obligations."

However, activities such as the drill team and millitary balls are expected to remain available on an option basis.

Other changes include a pay raise to $40 per month--$800 for the two years enrollment and the opportunity to fly free of charge in millitary aircraft on a space available basis. Cadets can now also travel at half fare on civilian airlines and railroads, and a majority of them plan to use the privilege over Christmas vacation.

Under the old program, students were required to take a full course in Air Science as sophomores and half courses as juniors and seniors.

In another major change, the "Leadership Laboratory" has been scrapped. During these weekly sessions, required during all four years of college, cadets during in the warmer months and heard speakers from the Air Force and the University during the winter. The summer session, extended from four to six weeks, replaces the laboratory.

"The two year program has certain advantages which I feel should be explored." Monro said yesterday. "It reduce the time spent in ROTC for people has been with studies. Also after two years of college a man is mature enough to deed, whether or not to make this commitment."

A'umni of the program are still commissioned as second lieutenants, but active service can be delayed if a student wants to pursue graduate studies. In the sciences, architecture and certain other fields, a student can apply for a limited-enrollment program under which the Air Force pays his grad school expenses in return for an increased active duty commitment.