Track Team May Be Best in East; Pole Vault Looms as Only Pitfall

By Philip Ardery

If it weren't for the pole vault, the Harvard track team might shut out some of its opponents this year.

Lost from last winter's undefeated, Heptagonal champion team are broad jumper Chris Ohiri and distance runner Ed Meehan, two of the squad's most consistent scorers. But among this year's sophomore additions are Sam Robinson, holder of the freshman 440 record (0:48.8), Wayne Anderson, co-holder of the freshman 100 mark (0:09.9), and Charlie Njoku, who has high jumped 6 ft., 8 in.

Add a host of other impressive sophomores, allow for the expected improvement from last year's regulars, and you have an unbeatable combination--even without that pole vaulter.

The closest thing to a key performer on this deep, talented squad is legendary senior Aggrey Awori. In his sophomore year Awori became the first triple winner in Heptagonal history, but personal problems last year severely limited his practice time and his accomplishments as well.

Awori represented Uganda in the Tokyo Olympics in October and reported to his first Briggs Cage workout last month in excellent condition and eager to work. McCurdy will use him in the hurdles, the broad jump, and the dash, and Aggrey has said he would like to try the mile relay too.

Teaming with Awori in the hurdles will be junior Tony Lynch, a third-place finisher in last year's indoor Heps, and champion in the Big Three and Greater Boston meets. Lynch is at his best running the longer distances outdoors, but even at 60 yards he may be the best hurdler in the league.

Last year Awori and Ohiri were an unbeatable one-two punch in the broad jump. This year high jumper Chris Pardee and sophomore Harvey Thomas will team with Aggrey, and the threesome should enjoy the same success. Both Thomas and Pardee jump near the 23 ft. mark.

If the Crimson has any weakness other than in the vault, it may be in the middle distance runs, the 600 and the 1000. Keith Chiappa, soccer and cross-country star during the fall, will be the top performer in both events, with untested sophomores forming the main back-up strength.

Among these are Robinson, Neil Houston, Harold McDougall, and Mike Hauck, and, according to McCurdy, they all could be good ones. Senior John Ogden, when he recovers fully from the virus infection that has bothered him for the past two months, will give the team added depth in the 1000.

Solid Squad of Milers

Ogden, cross-country phenom, Walt Hewlett, Dave Allen, and Jim Smith give McCurdy the solidest mile contingent a coach could hope for. It's so strong, in fact, that McCurdy is talking of holding either Allen or Smith out of the mile to give the Crimson a fresh man to run with Hewlett in the two-mile.

McCurdy hasn't picked his mile relay team yet, but he said that when he does, it will be the best one he's ever had. Awori, Lynch, Robinson, Houston, John Parker and John Dockery are all possibilities.

The two-mile relay team will probably include Chiappa, Ogden, Smith, and Chuck Redman. Bill Crain, part of the Crimson foursome last winter and cross-country captain this fall, has decided not to compete.

Captain Art Croasdale heads a group of field performers who may even outdo their running teammates. Croasdale is probably the league's best in the 35-lb. weight throw and may break the 60-ft. mark this winter. John Bakkensen demonstrated with a 53 ft., 11 in. practice throw last week, that he also plans to give the opposition a bit of trouble.

Croasdale also heads the shot putters, and is second only to Yale's Chuck Mercein among the Heptagonal performers in this event.

The high jump is probably the Crimson's strongest event. Chris Pardee won the indoor IC4A title with a jump of 6 ft., 9 in. last winter. Chris did 6 ft., 10 in. this summer and lest anyone fear he has lost his touch this fall, the lanky junior cleared 6 ft., 6 in. on his first try of the season last month.