Yale Will Not Boycott AAU's Athletic Meets

HOUSTON, Dec. 4,--Yale University will not go along with the National Collegiate Athletic Association's proposed boycott of Amateur Athletic Union-sanctioned meets, Yale's head track and field coach said today.

By participating in meets that lack NCAA sanction, Yale may risk being barred from NCAA championship events.

Giegengack, head U.S. men's track and field coach at the Tokyo Olympics, said the university will continue its traditional schedule of track and field competition this year.

The move rejects a plan which the NCAA may tell its member schools: after Jan. 1, they should not compete in any open competition not sanctioned by a federation associated with the NCAA--that is, if the NCAA-AAU squabble over sanctioning is not settled by that time. The NCAA proposes a dual sanctioning policy; the AAU says that it alone can sanction meets.

"We are loyal members of the NCAA and are not defying anyone," Giegengack said in a news conference during the annual AAU meeting. "We just don't want our boys on the Yale team to be used as weapons."

Harvard's director of athletics, Adolph Samborski, said the problem of the NCAA boycott has been taken under consideration by the University, and that he expects a decision in two days. He had no comment on Giegengack's statement