'We Won't Move,' No. Harvard Vows

By Robert J. Samuelson

Leaders of the small North Harvard community, whose homes are marked for destruction by the Boston Redevelopment Authority, vowed yesterday to resist eviction bodily.

In a "fact sheet" to be distributed today to the community's 60-odd families, they declared. "If [Mayor John Ed Collins and [BRA Administrator Edward JJ Logue want us out, they must attempt to throw us out."

"We Won't Move" signs are being hung from many of the community's homes.

The North Harvard area, which lies behind the Business School between North Harvard St. and Western Ave., is the site for BRA-planned high-rise, high-income apartments. It is presently occupied by older, low-cost, one-two-and three-family dwellings.

The BRA took title to all the land in the community late last month and demanded that the residents begin paying rent to it on December 1. Some of the resident have compiled, but many have refused, and in the fact sheet, the community leaders declared their policy as "We Won't Pay Rent."

Residents will probably have from four to six months before they will be forced to move from their homes, although some appear to be under the apprehension that the BRA could evict them before Christmas.

Leading the fight against the BRA renewal project is Bernard Redgate, chairman of the North Harvard Neighborhood Committee, and his mother. Mrs. Marjorie Redgate. Four Harvard undergraduates who live in the community are also aiding in the struggle.

Outside the Redgates' small store is a sign erected more than two years ago, when the BRA first indicated it wanted the North Harvard area for a renewal project. The sign reads: "TO HELL WITH URBAN RENEWAL, IT IS LEGALIZED THEFT OF PRIVATE PROPERTY. WE SHALL DEFEND OUR HOMES WITH OUR LIVES."

The community has fought desperately to prevent the BRA from seizing its land. Residents have turned out en masse for public hearings, chased a BRA assessor from the area, and picketed Mayor Collins' home.

Harvard owns eight buildings in the North Harvard area, according to Bernard Redgate. Most of them are uninhabited and their windows are boarded up.

"They didn't do anything on the property; they just let it go to hell." Redgate said yesterday. "If the roof leaked, they let it leak..... Once one person moved out, they never intended to rent his apartment again."