HCUA Proposes Amoebic Division In Near Future

The Harvard Council for Undergraduate Affairs has taken another step toward abolishing itself. Yesterday, leaders of the Council finished drafting a tentative constitution for the Harvard Undergraduate Council (HUC) and Harvard Policy Committee (HPC), the two organizations which have been proposed as a joint substitute for the HCUA.

Walt Till Next Year

The HCUA will meet in special session at 7 p.m. Thursday to consider the draft. If ratified then, the constitution will be submitted to the student body on January 14, 1964 for final approval by majority vote. Apparently, students will be able to choose only between the status quo and the proposed dual-council. There will be no opportunity to vote against student government per se.

This chance may come, however, a year from now when the new constitution, if then in effect, will again be presented to the student body, to ascertain whether it "shall remain in effect".

The proposed HPC would consist of nine student members, three faculty members, and the Dean of Harvard College, each receiving one vote. The student members would be chosen by the Master and Senior Tutor of each House, these students in turn selecting the three faculty members.

The HPC's purpose would be "to co-operate with the faculty and Administration in studying College pollicies of general interest to the student body." The purpose of the HUC, which would be composed of the House Committee Chairmen, would be "to bring an expression of undergraduate opinion before the governing bodies of the College."

The proposed student government would be permitted to solicit funds only from upperclassmen. The HCUA now solicits form all classes at registration.