Students to Teach at Negro College

Tougaloo Southern Christian College in Tougaloo, Miss., will be the site this summer of a pilot project of assistance to Southern Negro colleges organized by a group of Harvard graduate students.

The students plan to teach, obtain study grants for Tougaloo faculty members, and possibly do research to help underprivileged residents of the area.

"This is a chance to utilize existing talent in the North in a productive and positive way," John M. Mudd, a third-year student in the GSAS and spokesman for the group, explained. He said the 10-to-20 students who will participate think it will be a "more efficient use of talent" than demonstrations or voter registration drives.

Although the exact details of the program have not yet been worked out, Mudd said the group will probably teach tutorial and seminar-type groups. The subjects taught are expected to range from English Composition and Music Appreciation to Political Science and special studies of Latin America and Africa.

Mudd said the group hopes the project will also provide an opportunity to do research on problems facing Mississippi, such as inefficiency in agriculture. He explained that to his knowledge there are a large number of such problems on which no research has yet been done.

This year, the program will be held only at Tougaloo and only during the summer session, but the Harvard group hopes that it will eventually spread to other campuses in the South and operate throughout the year. Mudd said that students from nearby campuses may benefit from the Tougaloo program this year.

Although at the present time all the volunteer workers are Harvard graduate students, students and faculty members at several other colleges have expressed interest in the program. The Harvard group expects to receive financial support from various foundations and private contributions.