Rugged Tigers Challenge Squashmen; Crimson Shuffles Lineup Drastically

By Donald E. Graham

The Crimson squash team moves into its biggest match of the year against Princeton this afternoon with a lineup that looks like a bowling ball hit it.

A crucial injury and a series of aspects in intrasquad matches have left only one man--captain Vic Niederhoffer--playing in the same position he held two weeks ago.

The lineup was shuffled originally when number two man Lou Williams slashed his wrist in a car accident last week. Then number six man John Vinton came rocketing up the ladder, whipping Bill Morris and Terry Robinson to take over the number two position. Vinton had even beaten Williams before Lou had his accident.

Win a Few ...

Meanwhile, Robinson beat Morris in what Coach Jack Barnaby called "a sensational match" to drop Harvard's erst-while number two player to the number four position. One spot lower is Al Terrell, who actually beat Vinton (now the number two man, you remember) in a challenge match before losing to Robinson (number three) and Morris (number four). Got it?

Behind Terrell are John Thorndike, Dinny Adams, John Francis, and Peter Brooks, all playing one position higher than they were a week ago.

What does all this mean for the Princeton match? According to Jack Barnaby, probably not much. "We lost a lot in losing Lou Williams," he noted. "Lou is the best team man of them all; he came through with two big wins last year in the national championships and both of them won matches for us."

Vinton is Hot

As for the lineup-shuffling, "Vinton is hotter than a firecracker right now. He's been playing beautiful squash for the last week; I don't care who Princeton plays at number two, Vinton will be as good as he is."

"I'm not worried about Terry Robinson; he's a strong number three man," Barnaby went on. "As for Morris, Billy's been losing a few lately, but he's playing well and getting better. He beat Dick Hoehn, Dartmouth's star last year, in a match this week. He's ready to rebound, and I think he'll do it now, when we need it most."

Princeton's team has been juggling its lineup too, and the Tiger's order may not be final until they take the courts at Hemenway Gym at 2 p.m. But in all likelihood Pete Svastich will be at number one, with Frank Satterthwaite second.

Captain Toby Symington, who played number two last year, will be at number three today, with sophomore John Frazier behind him. Another soph, Bert Gay, fills the number five position, with tennis star Keith Jennings at number six, followed by Cuffy Train, Walt Smedley, and Jim Lemons.

Satterthwaite, an in-and-outer, has lost matches to Robinson and Terrell this year, but he has a years's experience as a number one man, and Vinton, will have to work hard to best him.

The top three all lost when Harvard best Princeton 8-1 last year. What Princeton has picked up since it something it never had before depth. For the first time over, the Tigers bottom-of-the-ladder set may give Harvard's a match