Princeton Basketball Team Annihilates Crimson 87-56 Bradley Scores 51 Points, Sets All-Time Mark for Ivies

By Richard Andrews

At the opening tipoff of the Crimson basketball team's game at Princeton Saturday, the Tigers' Bill Bradley took the ball, raced into the corner, and swished a jump shot.

It was obvious from that one play that Bradley, who usually spends the first half of a game being a "team player," was going to take personal charge of avenging the Tigers' loss to Harvard two weeks ago. The Princeton All-American did just that: he scored 51 points, shattered a multitude of Ivy records, and singlehandedly dealt the Crimson its most ignominious defeat in years, 87 to 56.

Man-to-Man and Zone

Crimson coach Floyd Wilson employed the same defensive strategy that had shackled the Tigers in the LAB: a man-to-man with guard Leo Scully on Bradley, and then a zone. But nothing worked Saturday. Bradley sank an eye-popping 13 of 24 field goals, 15 of 13 free throws, and grabbed 15 rebounds.

The Crimson, perhaps suffering from a letdown after a heartbreaking loss to Penn Friday, couldn't do a thing right. The team hit on a pathetic 24 of 79 field goal attempts, and was outrebounded, 61 to 44. The Crimson's first string played only about half the game; no one in the entire lineup scored more than eight points.

Bradley's phenomenal output set Princeton and Ivy League records for scoring in a single game, Princeton and Ivy records for field goals in a game, a Dillon Gym scoring record, and the Princeton season scoring mark with 695 points.

The Tigers' win kept them in a three-way tie for the Ivy lead along with Penn and Yale. All possess 7-2 records. The Crimson (4-5) is firmly ensconced in fifth place, and has probably lost all chance of finishing in the first division for the first time since 1947 unless it can beat Cornell next weekend.