Lawrentian Goofs Up, Misquotes Own Prexy

A typographical error, as well as sex, is plaguing Lawrence College in Appleton, Wisc.

The weekly newspaper there, the Law rentian, apologized recently for "unintentionally and unconsciously" misquoting President Curtis W. Tarr in an interview. Tarr had been quoted as saying, "If we were to superimpose upon the Lawrence campus--given our facilities--the present rules of a school like Harvard, we would attract here at this midwestern setting the kind of student who attends Harvard."

What he actually said, it turns out, is "we would attract . . . the kind of student who wouldn't be anything near the kind of student who attends Harvard."

The Lawrentian's editor explained that he realized there had been an error "only when I saw Dr. Tarr's words reprinted in another context."

Recommended Articles

M. Lax Gets Stampeded by Stags
The Harvard men's lacrosse team lost a, well, not-so-close one for its first game of the season. The Crimson (0-1)
Tarr's Message Was Offensive
To the Editors of The Crimson: Tarr's February 13 cartoon, which portrays the Palestine Liberation Organization, Palestinians and Arabs as
Baroque Music
B aroque trumpet and organ, produce an incredibly powerful sound together. Given a well-selected program and a competent performance, the
Newton Attracts Curiosity, Not Buyers
Apple Computer, Inc. is calling its new computer the harbinger of a "new world," but Harvard students--echoing industry sentiment--aren't buying
Art's New Frontier: Cyberspace
Tanicea Alicea '95 received her introduction to ASCII art when students circulated a popular series of cows through electronic mail
Digitas Holds Internet Talk
The fledgling computer group Digitas held its second "virtual meeting" over the Internet Wednesday night, hooking up with an MTV