New Test May Be Required In Languages

The placement examination in Romance languages will probably be broadened next year to test listening and perhaps speaking ability as well as reading and writing, Dwight LeM. Bolinger, coordinator of Romance language instruction, disclosed last night.

The score of 560, necessary to pass the foreign language requirement, will remain the same, and the new tests will be adjusted to conform with this figure.

By examining all of the language skills, the department hopes to obtain a more comprehensive evaluation of the student's ability, Bolinger said. This should aid the department more than the present test in placing the student in the proper course.

Another reason for broadening the test is that "students won't retain their reading skill unless it is grounded on a speaking ability, Bolinger stated. However, scoring the tape recording of students' speeches may prove a difficult task, he added.

The committee of course chairman in Romance languages, which recommended on Tuesday to enlarge the scope of the placement test, also suggested that the test be given at least four times a year, and that all students upon first entering courses in the Romance languages be required to take the examination.