Ted Sorensen Arrives, Accepts Leverett Suite

Appointed Research Associate

By Michael Lerner

Theodore C. Sorensen, long-time adviser to the late President Kennedy, arrived at the University yesterday afternoon for a stay of at least one term.

After a talk with Don K. Price, Dean of the Graduate School of Public Administration, Sorensen formally accepted a Corporation appointment as a Research Associate to the graduate center. Later, with the help of some Leverett students, Sorensen moved his belongings into his new residence--a tutor's suite in G Tower of Leverett House.

"We are very much delighted to have him," Richard T. Gill, Master of Leverett House, said last night. "We hope to make it as pleasant and quiet as possible to give him a chance to work on his book." Gill added that he had made the House dining hall facilities available to Sorensen. Whether or not Sorensen will eat there depends, Gill said, on his schedule.

At the Graduate School of Public Administration, Dean Price said he was "tremendously pleased that Mr. Sorensen has accepted the appointment we offered him."

Price explained that the position of Research Associate will entail no academic or official obligations for Sorensen. "We just want to give him a chance to write his book," Price said. "I think he will make a real contribution to the literature of the Presidency--and it will be a personal delight to have him here besides."

Sorensen has been given an office in Littauer Center as well as his suite in Leverett Towers. It is understood that his one-term appointment is renewable practically on request.

Uncertain Until Now

Although it had been expected for more than a month that Sorensen would come to Harvard after he had arranged his affairs in Washington. University officials were uncertain about when he would arrive until he appeared on campus this afternoon.

Both Leverett House and the Graduate School of Public Administration had tended their offers of an apartment, an appointment, and working facilities some time ago, but Sorensen did not officially accept the position until today.

The former White House strategist's apartment in Leverett and his appointment as Research Associate are unconnected. If for personal reasons he wishes to take a larger apartment off-campus later in the Spring, it will not affect his position at the Graduate School of Public Administration.

Master Gill said that if Sorensen's plans to live in the Towers changed at some later date, Sorensen would be able to maintain his affiliation with the House. "But we hope he'll stay, and that is why we want to make it quiet and pleasant," Gill said.