Crimson Should Squash Weaker Williams Today

By Donald E. Graham

The Crimson squash team starts its run down the home stretch today in an away match with a less-than-we some Williams squad.

Harvard may buffer a letdown after two tough weekends in a row--first the Princeton much and then the national championship--out unless the Crimson goes fintter than sonny Liston tomorrow, the match will be interesting only for its effects on several personal and team records.

Three of the team's nine members--Vic Niederhoffer (number one), Dinny Adams (number seven) and John Francis (number eight)--are still unbeaten for the year, and Adams still has the almost incredible distinction of having won all his matches by 3-0 scores.

As for the team, a win today would make it 29 consecutive intercollegiate-match victories for the Crimson.

The squad's winning ways were somewhat upset last weekend by a determined Washington, D.C. team led by Jerry Himmett 69, which upset Harvard 3-2 and then went on to win the national championship.

The matches in the nationals were not totally discouraging, however. Romer Holl (number two), playing for the Crimson for the first time after a three-year leave of absence won in the Crimson's first match (a 4-1 victory over a Canadian team), and almost made a fantastic comeback against Emmett in the duel with Washington.

Down by two games and trailing 14-11 in the third, he rallied to pull out the game and won the fourth before losing. Curiously, Emmett was the number one player on the Ivy League champion squad for which Holleran played before he took his leave of absence.

The real stars for the Harvard team in the nationals were Al Terrell and Terry Robinson, both of whom romped to two wins. The pair, both juniors, have lost a total of only three matches in their Harvard careers, and they, along with Holleran, number four man Bill Morris, and Adams, should provide the nucleus of a strong team next year.

An even more amazing record is that of the four seniors on the team. In their four years of playing squash at Harvard--one as freshmen and three on the varsity--they have never played on a team that has lost an intercollegiate match.