Plan Studied To Transfer Dining Lines

By Hendrik Hertzberg

The University is studying the feasibility of moving steam tables and serving lines out of the dining halls in the older Houses, Planning Office officials said yesterday.

According to Harold L. Goyette, Planning Officer, the idea is one among several proposals designed to make the older Houses "more desirable" compared to the newer buildings and the projected tenth House. The Planning Office is now in the midst of a complete survey of the old Houses with a view towards suggesting improvements.

Masters and Senior Tutors reached yesterday expressed enthusiasm for the idea of getting the steam tables out of the dining halls, but differed in estimating its relative importance to their Houses.

Zeph Stewart, Master of Lowell House, said that after relieving crowding in student suites and providing more single bedrooms for students, moving the steam tables is the structural change he would most like to see.

"The lines are particularly unsightly in the Lowell House dining room, which is big hall centering around a fireplace," Stewart said. "That fireplace is now hidden behind the steam tables."

Dunster and Winthrop Houses both have other projects they are giving higher priority. Winthrop wants a new small dining room, while Dunster places improvements in married tutors' suites, student rooms, and the Senior Common Room ahead of dining hall changes.

Charles H. Taylor, Master of Kirkland House, said last night that "in theory" the steam tables proposal is near the top of his list. But be added that the cost might be prohibitive.

Money is the main obstacle to the proposal. Some observers have estimated the cost of moving the lines out of the dining halls and into the kitchens at as much as $150,000 in Houses where large structural changes would be needed.