Crimson Matmen Overwhelmed By Springfield, 24-0

The Crimson matmen traveled to Springfield yesterday, guided by the hand of a fairy godmother that had helped them to two incredibly close victories in their last two outings. Unfortunately, the clock struck midnight on the way, and when they got there, the Gymnasts decimated all eight to walk away with a 24-0 win.

The only baint for the Crimson wounds was the knowledge that their hosts, undefeated in ten matches this winter, had been able to score no pins. There might have been a more positive consolation, had injured Crimson captain Fred Pereira been able to wrestle, but the effect of his bruised rib on the outcome of the match, like the effect of Sonny's disjointed shoulder, will never be known--except, perhaps, by fairy godmothers.

Sophomore Howie Durfee, outpointed only 4-2 by his 137-pound foe, was the Crimson grappler closest to victory, but suffered his second loss of the season in the effort. Ben Brooks, an 11-7 loser to Gymnast John Carrs at 177 pounds, was the second most successful of the Harvard matmen.

While the varsity match was proceeding to its dismal conclusion, the yearling Gymnasts, also undefeated, were wasting no time disposing of Harvard freshman grapplers, 23-7. The loss was the first of the season for the Yardlings, whose record now stands at 5-1-1.

Both Crimson squads have Brown and Yale remaining on their schedules. Some real insight into the possibilities of Saturday's varsity match with Brown can be derived by comparative scores. The Bruins lost to Springfield 32-0.

An infection kept sophomore Brian Smith out of yesterday's match, and it is not yet known whether he will be able to wrestle against the Bruins.