New Signout Rules Pigeonhole 'Cliffies

By Ann Peck

'Cliffies are being pigeon-holed again.

But this time they're not being labeled "chocolate," "peach," or "time." Instead, Briggs Hall has chosen an intricate system of sign-outs which involves four labeled cubby-holes: "in," "definite," "estimated," and "overnight."

Cubbles Insure Privacy

The new system is designed "mostly to insure privacy," Deborah Lucas '65, president of Briggs, said last night. Neither curious dorm-mates, nor uncouth dates will be able to scan the sign-out book any longer, she explained.

Individual 5 x 2 sign-out cards have been substituted for Briggs' sign-out book. The measure was passed by a vote of about 70 to 80, Miss Lucas estimated, and went into effect several weeks ago.

The cards detail the same information that is required in the sign-out books still in use in the other dormitories.

System Explained

Following normal 'Cliffe procedure, a member of the dorm committee checks the books--or cards--at 1 a.m. Those cards in the "definite" box (mostly belonging to freshmen, or pre-Thanks giving sophomores, according to recent RGA legislation) should be deposited in the "in" pigeonhole by 1 a.m., unless, of course, a girl has a special permission for a two or three o'clock.

"Estimated" cards are not checked until the dorm opens the next morning, since the return time is only approximate. If the Briggsite signs out for later than 8 a.m. or for a weekend, her card must go in the "overnight" box. Get it?

Reaction Mixed

No other dorm has thus far adopted the cubby-hole policy, and reaction to the Briggs scheme has been mixed. Several girls commented last night that the plan's complexity was "definitely worth the privacy it insures." A Harvard junior said. "It's remarkably civilized." Another 'Cliffe latoned, "Personally, I think it's potty."

But nothing in perfect. Following another Radcliffe procedures, when the cards--or books--are used up, the dorm president collects them to make sure they're in order. They are then brought to Fay House, for filling.