Pereira Back as Matmen Face Brown

The varsity wrestling team should finally get a breather today after a series of close matches and overwhelming defeats. The Brown squad that invades the IAB at 3:30 p.m. is still winless in league matches, and doesn't figure to give Harvard much trouble.

The Bruins have lost to Columbia 32-5, to Princeton 21-14, and to Penn 26-3. Harvard beat Columbia and Princeton narrowly, and lost to Penn by one point.

But the Bruins are not without some wrestlers. Captain Ken Linker tackles flashy Crimson sophomore Howie Durfee at 137 pounds in what should be the meet's highlight. Linker has been a fairly consistent winner for Brown; in his last outing he lost to Penn's Ted Lansky, but the score was only 9-5, and that's not too insulting against Lansky, winner of 76 straight matches.

157-pounder Bob Bundy and Stove Zwarg at 167 are other Brown standouts; they'll meet Harvard's Jack Mamana and Lamar Fertig today.

The Crimson will get a boost from the return of captain Fred Pereira, who missed the 24-0 debacle at Springfield Wednesday. Pereira should have little trouble in his 177-pound match.

But another Crimson wrestler, 130-pound Brian Smith, will certainly miss today's match and may not be able to wrestle against Yale next Saturday. Jack Linn will fill in for Smith in today's contest.

A win today would give the Crimson a 3-2 Ivy record and a shot at second place if they can beat Yale next Saturday.