Quintet Bows to Bulldogs, Crushes Hapless Brown

Kaminsky Paces 75-62 Yale Victory

By Richard Andrews

The Crimson basketball team ripped Brown Friday, 76 to 56, but 24 hours later ran into a long spell of cold shooting, a tenacious Yale zone defense, and the Elis' sizzling Rick Kaminsky to drop a 75-62 heartbreaker at New Haven.

Harvard remained on the Bulldogs' tail until the last five minutes of the game, but in the first half the contrast between the two teams was extraordinary. While the Elis executed their play patterns and fast breaks with methodical finesse, the Crimson didn't seem to have any idea of how to get the ball through Yale's defensive net. Kaminsky scored 21 points in the first half and Yale led all the way. Late in the period however, the Crimson whittled the Bulldogs' lead to 28-27, but then Merle McClung and Barry Williams blew easy shots and the Blue spurted ahead 38 to 31 at intermission.

Crimson Can't Shoot

Harvard opened the second half with a zone defense that had Yale baffled. But the Elis didn't have to permeate it; they quickly increased their lead to 12 points with three fast breaks and three foul shots, while Crimson shooting was colder than Sergeant Preston's dogsled.

Trailing 47-35, the Crimson began to nit its shots with the accuracy of the Ranger 6. As the four Harvard fans in Payne Whitney gym went wild, the quintet reeled off eight straight points in two minutes. Yale held a tenuous lead until early in the fourth quarter.

With 9:06 to play the score was 54-50, but in the next eight minutes Harvard scored a total of seven points and Yale blew the game wide open, then went into an aggravating stall which eroded Harvard's effective zone.

Guards Are Cold

Kaminsky had 31 points for the game; Harvard's leading scorer was McClung with 19. The Crimson was severly hampered by the disappointing play of its guards, particularly Leo Scully and Keith Sedlacek. The pair scored five points.

At Brown the night before, Harvard had relatively few tense moments. In the initial four minutes of play, Barry Williams pumped in six points and the quintet surged ahead, 10 to 0. In the second quarter the fine shooting of Brown's Fran Driscoll helped whittle the margin to 32-29. But the brilliant play of Bob "The Stork" Inman, who had 23 points for the game, enabled Harvard to repulse the Bruin threat and coast to an easy win.