Crimson Trackmen Eye Two-Mile Relay Record

At Dartmouth Today

By Philip Ardery

In the grand tradition of the Dartmouth Winter Caralval, Crimson track coach Bill McCurdy is taking his troops to Hanover today with the sole intent of having a good time--a Harvard record time, in fact, in the two-mile relay.

McCurdy feels that the Crimson's clear superiority on the cinders should give him the chance to save four of his middle-distance men for the relay alone, something he couldn't do against stronger opposition.

If the Harvard field and sprint men, pile up the expected lead in the early events, McCurdy will send John Ogden. Captain Ed Meehan, Keith Chiappa, and Bill Crain after the existing two-mile mark of 7:50. This foursome ran the distance in an unofficial 7:41.6 at last week's Millrose Games, and could do even better on the new Leverone Field House track at Hanover.

Last year the Crimson trackmen posted a 69-40 win over the Big Green. This year the margin should be greater, as two of Dartmouth's winners last year, sprinter Gerry Ashworth, and 600 man Tom Holsel, have been lost by graduation.

The Green's best chance to pick up a first place today seems to be in the pole vault. Captain Lynn Bates cleared 13 ft., 11% in. in a January meet against Manhattan, 5% inches higher than Chimson ace Jay Mahaney has vaulted this season.

Unfortunately for the Dartmouth squad, its second and third strongest events are the hurdles and the broad jump, where the Crimson's Aggrey Awori and Chris Ohiri are virtually unbeatable in dual competition. Both set records in Wednesday's New England AAU Championships.

McCurdy reported yesterday that Awori's sinkle, injured in last Saturday's BAA meet and heavily taped during Wednesday's competition, has looked sound in practice and will be healthy for the Big Green today.