Merle McClung Makes All-Ivy Team

Big Merie McClung, the junior conter who set a basketful of Crimson scoring records this season, became Harvard's vard's All-Ivy basketball player in history yesterday.

The 6-5 McClung received 12 votes in balloting by the league's coaches, giving him third place behind the two unanimous selections--Princeton's Bill Bradley and Yale's Rick Kaminsky.

A first-team vote gave a player two points, a second-team selection one point. No coach was allowed to vote for one of his own players.

The All-Ivy League selection was not the only honor for McClung. The Eastern College Athetic Conference named him to its All-East Team of the Week for his 39-point performance against Dartmouth, and his teammates voted him Most Valuable Player for the season.

McClung's 436 points set a Harvard single-season record, and his 39 points against Dartmouth broke the Harvard record for a single game by six. He also set new Crimson records for most field goals in a season, most field goals in a season of Ivy League play, and highest season average, 19.8 points per game.

Besides leading the squad in total scoring and scoring average, the Crimson center bested his teammates in field goals attempted (341), field goals scored (174), shooting percentage (510), foul shots made (131) and successful foul shots (88).

Always a consistent shooter, McClung scored most heavily during the start of the Ivy League season. He racked up 30 points in the Crimson's upset over Princeton and only twice during the entire 22-game season did he full to break 15 points in a game.

No other Harvard player received even honorable mention for the all-Ivy squad. The second team consists of Columbia's Neil Farber, Yale's Denny Lynch, Steve Cram of Cornell, Dave Tarr of Brown and Dave Schumacher of Yale.