Hopes Rest on Abramson, Fowler In Eastern Swim Tourney Today

Powerful Elis Should Win Title; Army, Navy, Princeton Threaten

By Philip Ardery

The varsity swimmers hit the post-season tournament trail this afternoon with a trek to Dartmouth for the three-day Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming Championships.

Two Crimson tankmen have a shot at individual titles, but a shortage of numbers due to injuries and hour exams will probably leave the squad no higher than fifth in the team standings. Yale appears to have a lock on the title with Army, Princeton, and Navy rounding out the top four.

Freestyler Dave Abramson and breast stroker Bruce Fowler are the Crimson swimmers most likely to capture individual honors. The two have been consistent winners in dual meets this season and were the only two Harvardmen to take first place in last week's meet with Yale.

Abramson will go in the 500- and 1650- yard freestyles, with his best chance for a win coming in the shorter distance. There his chief competition will come from Villanova's Dick McDonough and North Carolina's Harrison Merrill. Both boast times near the 5:02 mark, a scant three seconds faster than Abramson's best.

Abramson Behind Lyons

In the 1650-yard free Abramson will be second or third seeded behind favored Dave Lyons of Yale. Abramson beat Lyons at 500 yards last week, but the Eli ace is reportedly stronger at the longer distances.

Fowler's best chance for a win is in the 100-yard breaststroke, a distance at which he posted a 1:01.9 time in a relay split this winter. Yale's Dick Traver is expected to give the Crimson sophomore his roughest competition, though there is a possibility of some unknown superstars at the unusual distance.

Fowler will also swim the 200-yard breaststroke, but his chances for a win in this event are not very good against the likes of Yale's Dale Kiefer.

Bennett, Hunter in Sprint

Coach Bill Brooks will be pinning his sprint hopes on Captain Dave Bennett and Dennis Hunter. Al Lincoln will swim the backstroke events for the Crimson and Harry Turner will represent Harvard in the butterfly.

Diver Dan Mahoney, suffering from a stone bruise, and Henry Frey, Elliott Miller, Earl Showerman, and Joe Stetz, all suffering from hour exams, will not make the trip.