HCUA Seeks New Anti-Bias Requirement

Request Club Charters Be Nondiscriminatory

By Richard Cotton

The executive committee of the HCUA will recommend tonight that a non-discriminatory membership clause be specifically required of all undergraduate organizations recognized by the College.

The HCUA proposal notes that "it is an unwritten policy of Harvard University not to approve any constitution which contains a clause of discrimination." But, the resolution contends, the recent rejection of the constitution of the Association of African and Afro-American Students demonstrates the need to clarify University policy.

Watson Favors Change

Dean Watson said last night "the Council is absolutely right here. I think it would be an excellent addition to the regulations." If the Council approves the executive committee's resolution at tonight's meeting, the proposal will go to the Faculty Committee on Student Activities, which is chaired by Watson.

Specifically, the HCUA change would require an organization to submit to the Dean's office a constitution and by-laws "whose membership clause shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, or religion."

Watson said the Faculty Committee agreed in principle with the HCUA resolution, but it might change the exact wording somewhat.

At tonight's meeting, the HCUA will also consider approval of a proposal to allow Radcliffe students to eat interhouse in the Houses on date nights when escorted by a Harvard undergraduate. In exchange, Harvard students would be permitted to eat interhouse at Radcliffe at all meals at which they are presently allowed. They will still have to be the date of a Radcliffe student.

After the HCUA acts on the resolution, it will go to RGA for consideration. The final recommendation will be sent to the Committee on the Houses and Arthur D. Trottenberg, assistant dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences for Resources and Planning, for action.