Britain to Send Students to Harvard On Kennedy Memorial Scholarships

Tribute Will Include Acre at Runnymede

British students will attend Harvard, Radcliffe and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology on a scholarship to be established in memory of John F. Kennedy, Britain announced today.

The fund for the scholarship will be the second part of a tribute to the late president. It will accompany a gift to the United States of an acre of Runnymede meadow, the site where King John signed the Magna Carta. The British intend to build a memorial to Kennedy on the land.

Prime Minister Sir Alec Douglas-Home told the House of Commons that a committee, headed by Lord Franks, had considered various proposals to honor Kennedy. The choice of the Runnymede memorial and the scholarship emerged after several months of deliberation.

Douglas-Home did not specify how much money would be sought for the two projects, but indicated that the Lord Mayor of London, Clement Harman, will lead the fund drive.

Bruce Named to Committee

The final plans will be drawn up and executed by a committee under the chairmanship of Sir Roger Makins, a former British Ambassador to the United States. The committee will decide what proportion of the total funds will go to the scholarships.

The present United States ambassador to Great Britain, Daid K. Bruce, will be one of the members of the committee. Another will be Humphrey Myners, former deputy governor of the Bank of England.