Crimson's Fowler, Mahoney to Enter Yale National Swim Championships

Two Harvard swimmers will compete in the three-day NCAA swimming championships which begin today in Yale's Payne Whitney Gymnasium.

Sophomore Bruce Fowler, who beat the best breaststrokers in the East at 100 yards in the Eastern Intercollegiate Championships earlier this month, will test his strength against the best from the Midwest and the Pacific Coast at that distance and at 200 yards.

Fowler took second in the longer event in the Easterns behind Yale's junior Dale Kiefer.

The other Crimson entrant will be junior diver Dan Mahoney. Mahoney finished fourth in the Eastern tournament when he fell off the board on his next-to-last attempt and scored no points for the effort. He had held an almost insurmountable 40-point lead going into the fateful dive.

Mahoney should beat out Yale's Pete Desjardins and Princeton's Scott Andrews, two of his conquerors in the Easterns, but how he will fare against the top boardmen from the rest of the country is hard to predict, since divers have no universal measuring rod like the swimmers' times.

Indiana Favored

Indiana University, that prolific mother of Olympic swimmers, is free from the three-year shackle of NCAA probation, and will be favored for the team title. Their chief competition will come from the host Yale squad and from defending champion U.S.C.

Fowler's breaststroke events are scheduled for Friday and Saturday. Mahoney will compete in the one-metre springboard diving today and the three-metre spring-board on Saturday.