Draft Boards Present 'Greetings' To Students Who Take Year Off

Students on leave of absence, who are over their local draft board's induction age are now likely to be drafted Selective Service Officials said yesterday.

At least one Harvard student on leave has been drafted in recent weeks, and others have been forced to return to school to escape induction.

The law states that a student is eligible for the 2S deferment only "if his activity in studies is considered to be in the national health, safety or interest." Officials stressed yesterday that each case is decided individually by the local draft board, but indicated that a person on a non-academic leave of absence is likely to be classified 1A, subject to induction.

President Kennedy's executive order last August which exempted married men from the draft has caused a decrease in the manpower pool. As a result some boards are drafting men at age 20, although other boards wait several years.

25% Take Leaves

Approximately 25 per cent of each graduating class has taken a leave at one time or another. The College ordinarily gives such students a letter stating that they will be readmitted after a year. Draft officials now indicate that this will no longer be sufficient grounds for a student deferment.

Students who use their leaves for part time study at another school are also in danger of induction, officials said, although the local boards have a far broader range of interpretation in these cases. They indicated that classification depends on the part-time students' work load.

Credit Courses Important

Students whose part time work is not credited toward a degree, will not be as likely to receive a deferment. However, Harvard does not ordinarily accept credits toward a degree, and this "might make a difference with some boards," according to Major Remo Gandin