TRACK

Sports '67

By Robert J. Samuelson

After the freshman track team demolished Holy Cross Saturday, 111-33, one might have guessed that the Crimson squad would go undefeated this Spring.

He would have been right, but not on the basis of the humiliating defeat of the Crusaders. The crucial contest was last Wednesday.

That day it rained all morning and the Yardlings only real competition on the spring schedule, Brown, was conveniently washed away. The meet will not be rescheduled.

The Baby Bruins, who were undefeated during their indoor season, could easily have spoiled the Crimson's record. The Yardings were especially vulnerable without hurdler and broad jumper Harvey Thomas, who broke a bone in his foot last week.

With two victories behind them and four meets left, the Yardlings now seem to be a sure bet to go undefeated.

Saturday's meet against Holy Cross was hardly a contest at all. In fact, the Crusaders failed even to enter several events. The scorecard listed only 12 members of the Holy Cross team against 50 Yardlings, an obvious indication of the differing strengths.

If this numbers gap didn't impress the 200 hearty spectators, the day's final event, the mile relay, brought the point home. The Crusaders failed to enter a team in either the freshman or varsity runs, leaving the two Crimson teams to compete against each other.

For Yardlings and their Jubilee week-end dates, the only real excitement of the afternoon was George Patterson's record-breaking run in the 440. He covered the distance in 43.4--over a half-second better than the previous mark of 49.0 which had stood for 32 years.

Patterson also won the 220. His time of 21.9 was a half-second shy of the record which was set in 1914 and tied twice since then.

Except for Holy Cross victories in the pole vault (at a miserable 10 ft., 6 in.) and in the two-mile run (a miserable time of 11:07.4) the Yardlings swept first in all events. Even in the two-mile run, the squad could have won if captain Jim Smith had participated.

Smith took firsts in the mile (4:27.0) and the 880 yds. (1:58.8), and anchored the big mile relay that swept by the pickup varsity squad.

The Yardlings had two other double winners Saturday: John Micketts (discus: 133 ft., 5 1/2 in.; hammer: 121 ft., 2 1/2 in.) and Andy Cahners (440 high hurdies: 59:2; 120-yard high hurdies: 15.9).

The first freshman lightweight boat lost to Columbia Saturday, but the second boat won. Other scores: Tennis Harvard 9  M.I.T. 0 Lacrosse Harvard 3  Deerfield 2

Harvard 7  M.I.T. OBaseballHarvard 22  B.C.3Harvard 8  Exetor