Winless Bruins Challenge Tennis Team Here Today

By Donald E. Graham

The varsity tennis team ought to have its easiest match of the year today when it faces Brown on the Soldiers' Field courts at 2 p.m.

The Bruins, doormats of the Eastern League last year with a 2-13 record, will probably be fighting it out with Columbia for the distinction of finishing tenth in the ten-team league this season. So far this year they have dropped 9-0 matches to Wesleyan and Rhode Island, after bowing to Rollins and Florida State on their vacation trip.

Harvard, on the other hand, currently boasts a 9-2-1 record and is unbeaten in its last 10 matches. Number one player Frank Ripley is having a sensational year; he hasn't lost in intercollegiate competition and some of his opposition has been very good indeed.

The Brown match is the first of three this week for the varsity; a simply incredible schedule has them playing in Cambridge Friday and then flying in Ithaca Saturday to face Cornell.

The match Friday should be one of the year's best; the opposition is Pennsylvanis, one of the three best teams in the Eastern League.

Last year the Quakers' match with Harvard was all tied up at 4-4 when darkness set in; Bob Inman and Dean Peckham had to come from behind to win the third doubles match, playing on indoor courts, for the Crimson to eke out a 5-4 win.

Moreover, Penn's top three players, power-hitting John Reese, temperamental Bailey Brown, and backcourt specialist Richie Kolker, are all back in action this year.