University Won't Lighten Sanders

The University does not plan to improve the lighting in Sanders Theatre or the Geological Lecture Room, Arthur D. Trottenberg, assistant dean for resources and planning, said yesterday.

Although the University is constantly reviewing the illumination in all its classrooms, the two halls are "not in our immediate program for renovation," Trottenberg said.

A study made recently by the Harvard Council for Undergraduate Affairs found that lighting at both locations failed to meet the minimum standards o the Massachusetts Public Safety Board as specified in a 1955 statute. Trottenberg flatly denied that the halls violated state law, however.

H. Reed Ellis '65, chairman of the HCUA, conceded yesterday that the law might apply only to public shcools, but dismissed the question of legality as beside the point.

Lighting "Secondary"

"I think it's a shame that lighting is so secondary at Harvard," Ellis said. "With all the University's money, there is no reason why some students should be half-blinded."

Ellis will met with Trottenberg today, and lighting is among the topics on their agenda. While he stressed that he wished to be cooperative, Ellis said he is prepared to furnish further proof of "grossly inadequate" illumination.

"I'd get down on my hands and knees to get better lighting," he added.