'Cliffe's Policies To Be Continued By Kerby - Miller

Mrs. Wilma Kerby-Miller, who will be one of the women substituting for Mrs. Bunting next year, believes that "Radcliffe's role is to see that its students have full opportunity to get the best out of their Harvard education intellectually and personally."

Currently Dean of Graduate and Professional Women, Mrs. Kerby-Miller will be academic vice-president while Mrs. Bunting serves a one-year term on the Atomic Energy Commission; she said in an interview Tuesday that she hopes to strengthen all of Mrs. Bunting's programs, particularly the House system and the advisory plan.

The House system, instituted by Mrs. Bunting in 1961, creates an environment in which students can best develop their talents, Mrs. Kerby-Miller said. She oxplained that it contributes to broadening the opportunities of Cliffies "by bringing more of the Faculty into the Houses, and thus promoting a closer relationship between the Faculty and Radcliffe."

Women particularly require advice during college, she said, since "they have a different kind of need than men. A man can look forward to a specific career, while a woman must keep her future open to alternatives." The university is a particularly good place for women, she added, because it offers the maximum of choice.

Radcliffe women of today, "have more faith in the values of scholarship, and in the values of discovery than they did when I first came here in 1946," she noted.

Mrs. Kerby-Miller attributes this development to the disappearance of the confusion and lack of direction which always follows a war. The recent increase in scientific research and discovery has also encouraged many people to look forward to making their own contributions to human advancement, she continued.

Rules 'Over-Discussed'

Radcliffe is not having more of a problem with the rules issue than other colleges, she said, claiming that this question has been "over-discussed." Since Radcliffe has so recently faced "the matter of students taking adult responsibility," she feels it is too early to form an opinion on the recent rules change allowing sophomores to sign out overnight without permission.

Mrs. Kerby-Miller graduated from Rockford College in Illinois in 1924. She received her master's and doctorate degrees from the University of Chicago, where who was an instructor in English from 1929 to 1938. She was dean of freshmen at Wellesley before she came to Radcliffe in 1946.