PBH REPLY

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Phillips Brooks House Association is--and long has been--concerned with the problem of professional supervision of its volunteers, not only in the Social Service Committee, but also in its other projects. We have this year devoted much time and thought to a careful study of the situation. In fact, a committee of students met in February, 1964, with our Faculty Committee to examine the alternatives for providing necessary supervision in agencies and institutions where it is not forthcoming because of shortages.

This problem, however, is highly complex. We feel that one person structured into the Association simply could not handle all, or even most, of the situations which would benefit from the attention of a professional. What is required in these cases is an understanding of the particular problem by the professional. A settlement house volunteer having trouble with a child needs a professional who knows that child; similarly, a Mental Hospitals ward group needs supervision from someone familiar with their ward. A single professional could scarcely handle such scattered specific problems. We are therefore seeking an arrangement whereby the Association could obtain the assistance of appropriate professionals on a part-time basis when and where they are needed--provided of course that other sources and arrangements are explored and found unsatisfactory.

We are currently working with the settlement houses to increase coordination between the agencies' social workers and our volunteers and to devise a system by which our own volunteer staff will help to provide much of the unity and esprit de corps that we find so necessary. In the meantime, we shall continue to draw upon faculty in the University and individuals in the community who have volunteered their assistance. Edward S. LaMonte '65, President   Phillips Brooks House Association