Del Rossi Blanks Princeton on Three-Hitter; Ripley Bows, But Racketmen Whip Penn, 6-3

Miller's Eighth-Inning Triple Beats Tigers Southpaw Skey

The varsity baseball team got their hits when they counted yesterday, coming up with two runs in the eighth to beat Princeton 2-0 and stay unbeaten this year.

The big blow was a two-out triple by catcher Gary Miller that scored George Neville and Captain Tom Stephenson with the game's only two runs. It was also the only extra-base hit for either team all day.

Until the eighth. Paul Del Rossi and Princeton ace Gerry Skey had been locked in a lefthanders' pitching duel. Skey gave up two hits in the second and then settled down to pitch one-hit ball for the next five innings. He wound up with eight strikeouts for the day.

Del Rossl's performance was the kind that's hard to beat. He gave up three hits, struck out nine, walked only two, and handled the Tigers' only serious threat with teriffic poise.

It came in the seventh when a single by catcher Jack Singer, a sacrifice, and an error put men on first and third. Coach Ed Donovan sent up a pinch-hitter, Vic Wooley; Del Rossi struck him out. The next batter was Skey, the pitcher; Del Rossi struck him out, ending the inning with a flourish. Del Rossi's record is now 5-0, his earned run average is 1.19.

Today the varsity, now sporting a 10-0-1 record, tackles Columbia, the only team to beat Del Rossi last year. The pitcher who won that day, Neil Farber is back again, but after a sensational sophomore season, the fluffballing righthander is taking his lumps this year.

Now, guess who is Columbia's shortstop, leading hitter, best fielder, and, according to coach Norm Shepard, the best major league in-field prospect in the Eastern League? Yup, it's your favorite all-American boy, Archie Roberts. You can come see this veritable superman in action today against the Crimson's Andy Luther (3-0) starting at 2 p.m.