Eliot Loses New Cigarette Machine, But Few Students Seem Concerned

By Marvin E. Milbauer

The Eliot House cigarette machine has been missing since last week and not too many people seem to care. In fact, many Eliot residents are apparently still unaware of its removal.

The machine was removed on the order of the University Purchasing Office, according to Robert S. Mullen, purchasing agent. It was installed three weeks ago to replace a broken one--despite the recent ruling against replacing or repairing broken cigarette machines.

Although reactions varied widely, most Eliot men shared the feelings of one student who said. "Machines or no machines, smokes or no smokes, live or die--at this point I couldn't care less." Most attributed the wide-spread apathy to the paucity of cigarette smokers and the obscurity of the machine, which was located in a cloak room.

Nevertheless, some students were deeply angered by the removal, saying it would cause them considerable inconvenience but would not discourage them from smoking.

David H. Abramson '65, chairman of the Eliot House Committee, said he had only received one complaint so far, and that the committee is not planning any action. He did not rule out the possibility of taking steps if more complaints are received, however.

Several other students noted that feelings of annoyance and anger are mounting in the House, and predicted that widespread protests will begin in a few days.

A number of irate Eliot men blamed the removal on a CRIMSON article reporting the replacement of the old machine. The machine had been replaced without the knowledge of University officials by its owner, the Cigarette Service Co. of Cambridge, which was unaware of the new ruling.